Arbor Day is Coming! Are you ready?
There are lots of things you can do to celebrate Arbor Day. Traditionally we plant a tree, have the Mayor read a proclamation, and get our picture taken by Frank with the paper. But, there are other things you can do. If you're, like me, concerned about the Emerald Ash Borer, or other forest health issue, you can use the day to bring some attention to it.
Here are some ideas:
- Take part in an Ash Tagging event. Contact your local CCE Office, EAB Task Force, or DEC office to see if there are Ash Tagging events happening, or create your own. The idea is to locate publicly prominent ash trees and mark them as being at risk. You can find more details here: http://www.nyis.info/index.php?action=eab_taskforce_projects
- Assist with an Ash Tree Inventory in your Community.
- Hold an EAB Event
- Partner with an existing Arbor Day Event in your community, or create your own
- Have a display with materials and samples
- Borrow a costume from http://www.dontmovefirewood.org/ (great for parades, too)
- Use Arbor Day as an excuse to contact your local media and municipal officials
- Work with your local community to develop resolutions concerning EAB. Resolve to make an EAB Preparedness Plan, Resolve to not move firewood, or Resolve to curb the spread of invasive species.
Find more details about EAB and other Invasive Species at http://www.nyis.info