details??

Views: 506

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The TAP Act is part of the new Farm Bill and has been authorized for a large sum of money, but its not yet clear what if any funds will be actually appropriated to the program. If funds do become available, it will create a small pool of grant money that will be available to states and universities on a competitive basis to implement the best projects that will help the maple industry remain competitive and sustainable in to the future. The projects could involve research, education, promotion, etc.  I highly doubt that we will see anywhere even close to 100 million, but there is a good chance that the program will receive some funding.

thanks

I would like to know about it, too.  I live in Southwestern Illinois.  There are hundreds of thousands of silver maples around here.  I got interested in this reading history books and there were at one time loads of sugar houses around here.  Now, there's only one that I know of, and it's really far away.  There are only a couple of studies that I've found, but the parameters of this study were too narrow, in my own opinion.

http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown_square/publications/technical_repor...

As you can see from this study, it only looks at maple syrup as a value added crop for farmers.  It doesn't look at what would happen if someone were to open a sugar house and sappers who were not owners of the land did the work on shares. I consider that to be the likelier scenario. We have had around 25 days so far this fall and winter where the temperature was  above freezing in the daytime and below it at night.  We will probably have another 20 more, so the weather is agreeable to that kind of industry here.

While there are a few hobbyists, they really are few, which is why this happened:

http://modfarm.tumblr.com/post/43487873218/maple-syrup-farm-mistake...

Here is a much better study:
http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown_square/publications/technical_repor...
 It was done around 120 miles south of here.  The weather is slightly different and not as well  suited to the endeavor because the weather is warmer there than it is here.

RSS

Forum

Silvopasture in Wisconsin: Goals, Challenges, and other Fodder for Thought

Started by Carl DuPoldt in Agroforestry May 9. 0 Replies

Silvopasture in Wisconsin: Goals, Challenges, and other Fodder for ThoughtWednesday, May 29, 2019 at 11:00am (CDT)Diane MayerfeldSustainable Agriculture Coordinator, UW-Extension, Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems (CIAS) -…Continue

Small acreage logging project

Started by WJ Rodenhouse in Woodlot Management. Last reply by Lew Ward Apr 22. 1 Reply

A friend asked me what types of protections he should include in agreement with logger when having his 10 acre forest logged. I thought maybe some of you could provide insight. Logger stated Workman's comp wasn't needed in a family business.Thanks!Continue

Western Larch Question

Started by Alex Harmon in Wildlife Management. Last reply by Pamela Dallaire Mar 30. 2 Replies

Would a Western Larch (tree) NOT lose its needles during fall and winter if it was kept indoors? / what causes it to lose its needles(temperature change, change in length of days)? IF YOU KNOW THE ANSWER PLEASE REPLY!!!!!! NOT KNOWING IS KILLING ME!!Continue

How tree diversity affects invasive forest pests

Started by Brett Chedzoy in Woodlot Management. Last reply by Brett Chedzoy Mar 27. 1 Reply

A long-standing tenet in forestry is that healthier and more diverse woods are typically more resilient to stress factors and pest.  This holds true in most cases, but there are the notable exceptions like EAB.This article from the "Morning Ag…Continue

480a disqualification after EAB

Started by Bill Pontius in Woodlot Management. Last reply by Bill Pontius Mar 17. 4 Replies

Here's a hypothetical question (hopefully). If an ash stand no longer has sufficient density to qualify for the 480a program following ash borer invasion, and if that stand is necessary for having more than 50 acres for the program, what happens?…Continue

Renewable Jet Fuel from Woody Biomass

Started by Brett Chedzoy in Woodlot Management Feb 27. 0 Replies

The carbon footprint of air travel is currently being scrutinized in the news.  Here's a renewable energy angle that probably won't be covered in the mainstream media: …Continue

Re wilding landscapes in New York with large mammals

Started by Jonathan Bates in Wildlife Management Feb 25. 0 Replies

Hello folks. Love to chat with you about re-wilding landscapes in NY. Here is a neat video about a successful project in Britain: …Continue

Tags: services, ecosystem, carbon, forest, succession

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Peter Smallidge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service