Forest Health (82)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

New Problem Found on N.E. Ohio American Beech

Folks, Lasy year and agin in 2014, John Pgacnik, biologist with the  Lake Metroparks in Lake County (northeast Ohio) has found American bee…

Started by Rick Tyler

1 Jul 22, 2014
Reply by Alicia Rose

tulip poplar

I joined this group because I'm writing a children's book on Franklin D. Roosevelt and his passion for trees. He said that the tulip poplar…

Started by Ann Malaspina

2 Jan 17, 2014
Reply by Ann Malaspina

Severe cold temperatures and Emerald Ash Borer

http://blogs.mprnews.org/updraft/2014/01/extreme-cold-may-wipe-out-high-percentage-emerald-ash-borer-larvae/

Started by Lewis E. Ward

0 Jan 6, 2014

Help with caterpiller ID

Does anyone know what kind of caterpillar this is.  I have searched books and the internet but hit a dead end.  

Started by Daniel Little

3 May 28, 2013
Reply by Mark Whitmore

Is Tree Lichen a Problem?

I received this question, and wanted to post it here so the answer can be shared. I was once told that if a tree has lichen growing on the…

Started by Mark Lewis

3 May 7, 2013
Reply by Mark Whitmore

Book on Tree Diseases

I would like to get a good book on trees and their diseases.  Can you recommend one?

Started by Mark Lewis

5 May 7, 2013
Reply by Mark Lewis

Are Gall's a reason to cull Hickory trees?

I'll take a photo, but in the meantime.... I have a lot of bitternut hickory and some shagbark as well.  I haven't yet noticed any on the…

Started by Thomas Wilson

7 May 7, 2013
Reply by Lewis E. Ward

Prognosis needed on Loblolly in MD

I was hoping you could examine my enclosed photos.  Loblolly pine is my favorite tree an I have planted a series of them as a backdrop to a…

Started by steve malan

2 Mar 29, 2013
Reply by steve malan

what is this

I have a black cherry with these growths on it. It seems to be speading to a red maple.Do I need to cut the tree to remove it? If so can I…

Started by Wayne Mortimer

2 Jun 10, 2012
Reply by Stephen Chilcote

Possible EAB

I was clearing a small field of brush and saplings this weekend and found what I believe is EAB larvae. Also noticed on the edge of the f…

Started by Mark Domingos

5 Mar 23, 2012
Reply by Rebecca Hargrave

RSS

Forum

controlling beech

Started by robert dalbo in Woodlot Management. Last reply by robert dalbo on Tuesday. 2 Replies

I have a section on my property approximately 5 acres with mature oak and maples 18 to 20 inches, well spaced, but the understory is a combination of beech and ferns. I have cut some beech and sprayed some the ferns with mediocre success. I do not…Continue

New film & resources to help YOU save forests!

Started by Lew Ward in Woodlot Management Nov 19. 0 Replies

'New film & resources to help YOU save forests!A new, short, animated (and…Continue

Tags: Management, Growth, Old

IPhone surveys

Started by Jim Martin in Woodlot Management. Last reply by Jim Martin Oct 27. 2 Replies

Smart phones have GPS.  Has anyone figured out how to use them for mapping wooded land.  I am especially interested in a way to map  my logging trails. Jim MartinContinue

Oldest Flowering Tree in North Americal

Started by Carl DuPoldt in Forest Health Oct 2. 0 Replies

Fossil of Oldest Flowering Tree in North America Discovered. And It Was Huge. -- https://www.livescience.com/63719-flowering-tree-fossil-cretaceous.htmlContinue

Slash and squirt control of Ailanthus

Started by Mark Horberg in Woodlot Management. Last reply by Peter Smallidge Sep 23. 5 Replies

I have 20-30 ailanthus trees on my property in the 4-6 inch diameter range.  What specific herbicide and concentration should I use for slash and squirt?  Can you recommend a place where it can be purchased in small quantities?  Thanks. Continue

inaturalist

Started by Alicia Rose in Agroforestry. Last reply by Linda Rohleder Sep 22. 1 Reply

Check out www.inaturalist.org Contribute to ScienceEvery observation can contribute to biodiversity science, from the rarest butterfly to the most common backyard weed. We share your findings with scientific…Continue

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Peter Smallidge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service