Forest Health (79)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Help with caterpiller ID

Does anyone know what kind of caterpillar this is.  I have searched books and the internet but hit a dead end.  

Started by Daniel Little

3 May 28, 2013
Reply by Mark Whitmore

Is Tree Lichen a Problem?

I received this question, and wanted to post it here so the answer can be shared. I was once told that if a tree has lichen growing on the…

Started by Mark Lewis

3 May 7, 2013
Reply by Mark Whitmore

Book on Tree Diseases

I would like to get a good book on trees and their diseases.  Can you recommend one?

Started by Mark Lewis

5 May 7, 2013
Reply by Mark Lewis

Are Gall's a reason to cull Hickory trees?

I'll take a photo, but in the meantime.... I have a lot of bitternut hickory and some shagbark as well.  I haven't yet noticed any on the…

Started by Thomas Wilson

7 May 7, 2013
Reply by Lewis E. Ward

Prognosis needed on Loblolly in MD

I was hoping you could examine my enclosed photos.  Loblolly pine is my favorite tree an I have planted a series of them as a backdrop to a…

Started by steve malan

2 Mar 29, 2013
Reply by steve malan

what is this

I have a black cherry with these growths on it. It seems to be speading to a red maple.Do I need to cut the tree to remove it? If so can I…

Started by Wayne Mortimer

2 Jun 10, 2012
Reply by Stephen Chilcote

Possible EAB

I was clearing a small field of brush and saplings this weekend and found what I believe is EAB larvae. Also noticed on the edge of the f…

Started by Mark Domingos

5 Mar 23, 2012
Reply by Rebecca Hargrave

Invasive Species in New York

New York just updated in Invasive Species web site. Check out profiles, learn about the Emerald Ash Borer, Giant Hogweed and Feral Swine (a…

Started by Rebecca Hargrave

2 Oct 20, 2011
Reply by Rebecca Hargrave

Flame weeding resources

Flame weeding is an organic vegetation management technique that has been used in agriculture for more than 50 years.  Flame weeding works…

Started by Peter Smallidge

0 Oct 11, 2011

Forest Health

Started by Carl DuPoldt in Forest Health Mar 8. 0 Replies

Why Logs Are Important ---…Continue

Forest Adaptation Resources Climate Change Tools and Approaches for Land Managers

Started by Alicia Rose in Forest Health. Last reply by Carl DuPoldt Mar 1. 1 Reply

Forest Adaptation Resources: Climate Change Tools and Approaches for Land Managers, 2nd edition link --…Continue

New Forest Farm

Started by Carl DuPoldt in Agroforestry Feb 15. 0 Replies

Welcome to New Forest Farmhttps://newforestfarm.usNew Forest Farm is a diverse Restoration Agriculture research site in the Driftless Area of Southwestern Wisconsin.Founded and stewarded by the Shepard family…Continue

Dutch Elm Disease

Started by Bob Schumacher in Forest Health. Last reply by John McNerney Feb 3. 4 Replies

Our elm trees that have survived the last fifteen years of the disease being in our woods are looking very healthy.  I really enjoy the elms and we have a few very good size ones now.  I would lie some day to make some lumber with them.Continue

The Role of Insects and Diseases in Aspen Biology

Started by Carl DuPoldt in Forest Health Feb 2. 0 Replies

The Role of Insects and Diseases in Aspen BiologyJohn Guyon, Forest Pathologist, USFS, Intermountain RegionDate: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 ----  Time: 12 pm (MST)   ----  …Continue

COMET-FARM - Greenhouse Gas Accounting System

Started by Alicia Rose in Agroforestry. Last reply by Alicia Rose Jan 25. 1 Reply

COMET-Farm is a whole farm and ranch carbon and greenhouse gas accounting system. The tool guides you through describing your farm and ranch management practices including alternative future management scenarios. …Continue

Silvopasture Workshop

Started by Alicia Rose in Agroforestry. Last reply by Joanne Vaughn Jan 2. 1 Reply

Silvopasture Workshop 4-5, 2017La Crescent, MinnesotaThe University of Minnesota Extension,…Continue

Beech Leaf Disease

Started by Brett Chedzoy in Woodlot Management. Last reply by Tim Levatich Dec 1, 2017. 3 Replies

This just in...  Would be interested to know if anyone sees this in their woods come spring.…Continue

© 2018   Created by Peter Smallidge.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service